Ministry of Education Short Term Research Award (STRA)
1.Announced by the Ministry of Education on December 22, 2011（No.1000225470D）to Commence on January 1, 2012
To encourage international students (with the exception of students from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao SAR) to undertake short term research in the Republic of China (Taiwan); in order to provide them with opportunities to increase their understanding of Taiwanese culture and its society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community.
(1) International students who are studying in an overseas university and pursuing a Ph.D. degree or are Post- Doctoral fellows, are qualified to apply for this Award, but not students who are currently holding R.O.C. passports.
(2) The Ph. D. students who are enrolled at an overseas public or private university or any higher educational institute recognized by the overseas local government; the so called Post-Doctoral fellow is one who has a doctorate degree from an overseas public or private university or any higher educational institute recognized by the overseas local government and working for his/her research at those universities or educational institutes, or, having worked towards researching a paper, book, or any publishing plan, will be given priority for receiving the Award.
(3) Please note that the following individuals are not eligible:
(a) The individuals that are currently, residing, studying (including an internship), teaching or doing research in Taiwan.
(b) The individuals that have received a STRA Award within the last 5 years.
(c) The individuals that are currently, receiving financial benefits from a government agency or an educational institute in Taiwan.
(d) The individuals that are currently exchange students through an agreement between universities in Taiwan and overseas universities during the Award period.
(1) The short term STRA research period will generally from 2 to 6 months.
(2) The short term research period will basically begin on March 1st and end on December 31st, in compliance with the current fiscal year.
There will be approximately 20 to 40 STRA Awards available per annum, depending on the annual budget, for the current fiscal year.
5: Acceptable Research Areas
Taiwanese culture, social science, art or its related comparative research are acceptable research areas.
6: Award Value
(1) A Ph. D. student will receive a monthly research subsidy of 25,000 NTD; and the Post-Doctoral fellow of 40,000NTD.
(2) Recipients will be reimbursed for a round-trip direct flight economy airfare between their home countries and Taiwan. The maximum airfare subsidy from and to Asia, Europe, the Americas, Africa and Oceania for recipients will be specified by the Ministry of Education and recipients are expected to cover their own extra expenses.
(1) Application form (see appendix 1)
(2) A Post-Doctoral Fellow has to provide a photocopy of the applicant’s Ph.D. credential and Ph. D. degree, Ph. D. students have to provide a certificate of enrollment and a certificate copy of a transcript.
(3) Provide at least two letters of recommendation: one from the head of the university or institution where the candidate currently works or studies; another from a scholar or expert in the subject field being applied to.
8: Application Procedures
(1) Applicants shall submit requested documents (as article7 requested) to their research university in Taiwan or the Ministry of Education (MOE) affiliated research institute, such as the Center for Chinese Studies, the National Educational Research Institute. Applicants shall have their application packet arrived at the university or MOE affiliate institute no later than September 30th for the following year’s research project.
(2) The University or the MOE affiliated research institute shall study the applicants’ application forms and verify that all documents have been attached, in order to select the short-list, the university or a MOE affiliate research institute shall assist these candidates to prepare a brief summary of each candidate’s research proposal on one piece of A4 paper in Chinese and along with all requested documents to the MOE for a second assessment before November 15th.
(3) The MOE will notify universities, MOE affiliate research institutes about the final STRA decisions. The universities and MOE affiliate research institutes will notify the candidates of those decisions. The MOE will also notify embassies or missions in the final STRA Award recipients’ home countries about those decisions before the next research year January 31st.
9: Ministry of Education Selection Procedures
The MOE will invite a panel of three to five scholars or experts related to the candidates’ fields of research for the purpose of selecting final Award recipients.
(1) Selection will be based on the candidate’s potential, outstanding performance and ability to execute plans (30%);
(2) The candidate’s language ability and the academic status of his/her selected research institute (30%);
(3) The candidate’s research project (including theme, structure, research methodology, analysis) and the importance of the project to his/her home country and Taiwan (40%).
10: Payment Procedures
The university or a MOE affiliate research institute should follow the schedule and procedures as instructed below to apply for funding from the MOE and to officially conclude STRA Award research cases.
(1) Award funding requests for each fiscal year should be submitted on a formal receipt by March 15st. Recipients shall receive their subsidies on the tenth of each month.
(2) Send photocopies of the recipients’ airfare invoice, ticket stub along with an official letter to the MOE to request reimbursement as soon after the recipient has arrived in Taiwan.
(3) Upon completion of the research project, the university and the MOE affiliate research institute shall submit two copies of the report of the award recipient’s research project(see appendix 2) and an official accounting report regarding STRA Award funds；these shall be arranged within 30 days after a recipient has completed their Award research.
(4) The fund request, payment and verification of the Award shall comply with the MOE Subsidy and Commission Expense Verification Guidelines to conclude each case.
11: Important Information
A. Recipient Responsibilities
(1) The recipient will undertake research at a registered university or at a MOE affiliate research institute. During this research period, the recipient shall actively participate in related academic pursuits.
(2) The recipient is not allowed to leave Taiwan throughout the Award period without the permission of the university or the MOE affiliate research institute. Even with permission of the university or the MOE affiliate research institute, a prolonged overseas stay of over ten days will lead to the suspension of one month’s subsidy.
(3) The recipient is prohibited to work for profit or to accept any other awards or subsidies from other government agencies or academic institutions during of their award period.
(4) The MOE does not provide housing or lab space.
(5) The recipient must purchase accident and medical insurance, which is to be effective throughout his/her stay in Taiwan. If the recipient is not insured, he/ she will not receive any research award or airfare reimbursements during his/her stay on Taiwan.
(6) If the recipient acquires an alien resident certificate (ARC) during his/her stay on Taiwan and has qualified for Taiwan’s National Health Insurance, he/she must join the insurance plan and pay the required fees accordingly.
(7) If the recipient has forged any information or documentation, his/her award will be immediately revoked and he/she will be disqualified from the program and will be required to return all the award subsidies including airfare previously received.
B. Universities and MOE Affiliate Research Institute
(1) Universities and MOE affiliate research institutes agree to assist the recipients during their research period in Taiwan, and follow the award process according to the MOE’s schedule and guidelines.
(2) If the recipient has been found forging any information or documentation, the universities and MOE affiliate should revoke their award immediately and have all the award subsidies including airfare previously received returned to the MOE.
建議最佳觀看解析度1024x768 系統版本: 106/01/15