||1. Promulgated by the Nationalist Government on December 8, 1928
2. All 23 articles amended and promulgated by the Nationalist
Government on October 1, 1929
3. Articles 20 to 24 amended and promulgated by the Nationalist
Government on July 6, 1931
4. Articles 20, 21, 22 amended and promulgated by the Nationalist
Government on May 18, 1935
5. All 25 articles amended and promulgated by the Nationalist
Government on November 16, 1940
6. Article 22 amended and promulgated by the Nationalist
Government on January 7, 1943
7. Articles 20 and 25 amended and promulgated by the Nationalist Government on July 15, 1944
8. All 29 articles amended and promulgated by the Nationalist
Government on February 12, 1947
9. All 33 articles amended and promulgated by Presidential
order on February 12, 1968
10. All 27 articles amended and promulgated by Presidential
order (1973) Tai-Tong (1) Yi-Zi No. 12354 on July 25, 1973
11. All 9 articles amended and promulgated by Presidential
order Hua-Zong-Yi-Yi-Zi No. 10100022781 on February 3, 2012;
date of implementation to be determined by an Executive Yuan order Implemented on January 1, 2013 by Executive Yuan order
Yuan-Shou-Yan-Zong-Zi No. 1012260345 on March 8, 2012
12 . Articles 6 and 9 amended and effected by Presidential order Hua-Zong-Yi-Yi-Zi No. 11000048911 on May 26, 2021
The Executive Yuan shall establish the Ministry of Education (hereinafter referred to as “MOE”) to administer the nation’s education related affairs.
The MOE shall be in charge of the following matters:
1. Planning of higher education and vocational education policies; providing assistance for and performing administrative supervision of development of teacher qualifications, student recruitment, resource allocation,
quality enhancement, and cooperation between academia and industry at colleges and universities.
2. Planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of lifelong education, social education, adult education, family education, art education, continuing and supplementary education, special
education, gender equality education, civic duty, reading, and education foundation policies; supervising, coordinating, and promoting affiliated social education institutions.
3. Facilitating international and cross-strait academic exchanges, participating in international youth and educational activities, promoting overseas Mandarin Chinese language education, providing assistance for
international students, overseas Chinese students, and students from Hong Kong, Macau, and Mainland China, and providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of international schools, Taiwan schools in mainland China, and overseas Taiwanese
4. Planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of teacher training policies, pre-employment courses for teachers, subsidies and assessments of universities training teachers, teacher
certification and internship, continuing education for teachers, professional organizational assistance for teachers, professional development for teachers and teacher assessments.
5. Planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of information education in schools and environmental education policies; planning, coordinating, and promoting cultural, societal,
and science education policies; planning and managing online academic resources and systems.
6. Providing assistance for and performing administrative supervision of student affairs; planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of national defense education in schools and
campus safety policies; managing and providing assistance for military education instructors and health teachers.
7. Planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of aboriginal and minority education; planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of school health
8. Planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of elementary and high schools and preschools, youth development, physical education, fitness and exercise, competitive sports, sports
industries, and international and cross-strait sporting events and sports facility policies.
9. Planning of education personnel policies; devising and interpreting education personnel laws; planning, providing assistance for, and performing administrative supervision of retirement, compensation, and severance
pay for private school teachers and staff.
10. Handling other affairs related to education.
The MOE shall have one Minister (political appointment); two Political Deputy Ministers equivalent to senior grade 14; and one Administrative Deputy Minister at senior grade 14.
The MOE shall have one Secretary-General at senior grade 12.
The MOE shall contain the following subordinate agencies, with their respective responsibilities:
1. The K-12 Education Administration: Planning and promoting policies and systems for high schools and below, as well as for preschools; supervising, coordinating, and providing assistance for the development of local
high schools and below as well as preschools; and administering educational affairs of high schools and lower level schools governed by the MOE.
2. The Sports Administration: Planning national sports policies; supervising and administering physical education, national exercise, competitive sports, sports industries, international and cross-strait sporting
events and sports facilities.
3.The Youth Development Administration: Planning national youth development policies; promoting youth career counseling, public participation, international experiences and learning and other youth development related matters.
If necessary, the MOE may assign personnel to work at a diplomatic mission with the approval of the Executive Yuan and in accordance with the provisions of the Organization Act of Diplomatic Missions of the Republic
of China (Taiwan).
When necessary, individuals at junior college or higher level educational institutions who are qualified professors may be appointed to join the personnel assigned to work at a diplomatic mission overseas referred
to in the preceding paragraph and serve as the head of the education division of a diplomatic mission. Each appointment of such individuals is not permitted to exceed three years; at the end of this term, they may be offered a further temporary appointment.
The total period of the temporary appointments referred to in the preceding paragraph is not permitted to exceed six years.
The position of Director of the Department of Information and Technology Education, when necessary, may be subject to the same qualification requirements for a college professor or higher; the corresponding retirement and compensation rules shall be the same
rules for college faculty and be approved by the MOE
The ranks, grades and number of positions of MOE staff shall be governed by a separate organization chart.
The date of effect of this Act shall be determined and announced by the Executive Yuan.
Amendments to this Act shall take effect from the date of promulgation.